Thursday, November 11, 2004

Things are getting more stressful here, because I'm being requested to work on a project that is getting pretty big quickly. I was working on it until very late last night, and woke up early this morning to try to finish it, but there are still some small details that I need definition.

But in the middle of all this stress, on Tuesday evening, in a well-thought impulse I decided to go and watch a concert with the Moscow Virtuosi. I say "well-thought impulse" because I already knew of the concert and I wanted to attend (actually I knew of it since my second day here), but I didn't know if I would have time. At 5:30 pm I decided that I was going to make time and called the ticket office to know if there were any tickets left. As there were, I got one. $50, not a very good place, but it was a great concert! They played my favorite piece: Schoenberg's Verklaerte Nacht.

This piece has 3 different versions. The original is for string sextet, and it's my favorite version. Then it was transcribed for orchestra and then modified for orchestra and this last one is the most common of the versions to find around, and it's my least favorite. What they did is that they played the sextet version, but transcribed for string orchestra (12 violins, 6 violas, 3 cellos and 2 basses). It wasn't as nice, but it was good enough. Great tuning, wonderful control and interpretation. I was delighted.

Another interesting thing about the concert is that it attracted the whole Russian population of Seattle (and maybe neighboring cities). At least 50% of the people sitting around me were Russians. And I even saw the "stereotypical" Russian thing of a guy walking with two over-produced women. It was almost hilareous, because they gave that impression that they were among the owners of the theater (even though they were sitting in the cheapest area of it).

That's it. Saturday is arriving and there are so many things to do until then that I just don't want to really think about it. But on Tuesday I should have high-speed internet at home (without a computer desk - it was first expected to arrive tomorrow, but I called the factory yesterday and they hadn't even sent it yet, but that's a minor detail, right?)

Alright, back to work!

0 comments: