Thursday, January 15, 2009

Two more books for the year

I'm quickly running out of books to read, I guess. Last week I decided to read something completely random, which ended up being Jim Butcher's Storm Front. Why this book? Well, I was reading on random things, which ended up taking me to an old series that died some time ago, The Dresden Files. Which reminded me that it actually came from a book series. I kind of enjoyed the TV series (although I wasn't very sad when it was gone), so I decided to read the first book of the series. It was mildly entertaining, but probably not enough for me to read more on the series.

That was last week. This week I decided to start reading Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers: The Story of Success. I just finished it on my ride back home today. The book makes very interesting points on why people become successful. The core concept is that everything counts. You can't become successful just based on intelligence, or school, or social background, or cultural background, or luck. You become successful because of the combination of some or all those factors.

I won't get more into the book, as I won't be able to do justice to all the things that he talks about. What is a little depressing about the book is that it sort of shows that unless you focused on something from early on in your life, you'll very likely never be successful. That means that "moving downstream" is not likely going to be a success story. Oh, well...

0 comments: