Thursday, January 08, 2009

Half an hour is a long time!

Warning: this is probably going to be a very boring post about routine change.

Since the move, almost two weeks ago, I had to change my morning schedule. My bus ride is longer, so in order to get to work at about the same time as before (between 8 and 8:30 AM) now I have to leave half hour earlier. I decided not to wake up 30 minutes earlier (which is good as lately I haven't been able to convince me to go to bed before 1:30 AM), so I end up having 30 minutes less at home in the morning (which are now spent in the bus). It's odd how hard it's been for me to adapt to it!

In the past, my morning routine used to be:
  • Wake up
  • Check emails
  • Check favorite blogs
  • Read news
  • Shower
  • Have breakfast
  • Reply to one or two emails (only the time-sensitive ones, usually from my family)
  • Read more news
  • Leave for the bus listening to a podcast
  • Listen to podcast in the bus (except for towards the end of some weeks that I ran out of podcasts to listen to and I would either listen to music or an audiobook)
Now my routine (if a week of doing something can be called a routine) has been:
  • Wake up
  • Check emails
  • Shower
  • Have breakfast
  • Check favorite blogs
  • Leave for the bus listening to a podcast
  • Sit on the bus reading a book
It's a lot of things that were cut out of my morning. When I get back home, I do try to check news, but that makes my evening way longer and less productive (that's part of the reason why I haven't been able to force myself to go to bed before 1:30 AM - I have to feel like I did something productive at home). I tried to read the news on the bus using my Kindle yesterday and today, but it's just not the same thing. "Normal" news have been quite boring for some time. The economy, and Obama setting up his people, and now the Israel-Gaza conflict (which is depressing, not boring at all). And I miss the ability to navigate through news to get more information on things that seemed interesting to me.

Well, I probably need to revisit my plans. Maybe I'll reconsider setting my alarm to wake me up earlier. Or maybe buy a tablet PC with a 3G wireless card so that I can do my news reading with browsing on the bus (no, not an iPhone, or equivalent - the screen is too small for my taste). Or maybe I just need to get used to it and reorganize my evening around it. I've been arriving home earlier (because there are no good buses to get me home that leave work after 6:20 pm)...

Anyway, I said this was going to be a boring post. I'm not sure why I wrote it... And now that I did it, I can't convince myself not to publish it. Oh, well, maybe this will force me to post something better soon to compensate for my personal ramblings. Now onto work!

4 comments:

Codename X said...

Well, from a night person to another: try to sleep earlier. In the first days (I would say about 15 days, but this is how long I take to adapt to any change on routine) it will be terrible, but then your body magically adapts. And you will still have time to read the news properly. lol

Michel said...

It's funny that I don't consider myself really a night person. I think what I don't like is to really be interrupted on what I'm doing. And it's much better to do things without fear of interruption if I'm doing it at night while everybody else is sleeping at home.

Anyway, it's an interesting thought. Sleep more to adjust. I'll see if I can convince myself to give that a try.

Anonymous said...

I think Amy is right! Indeed, she has my complete approval and, as a sign of support, I now add:

:-p :-/ >8-(

Michel said...

The world of emoticons are all against me! This is so... 90s! B>S