Monday, October 25, 2004

Going...

Life is going on. Very confusing, actually. I don't know what is going on here, but the days are going by and I still haven't decided on a routine, besides waking up between 6-6:30 and going to work, arriving there between 7:30-8. Oh, of course I'm ignoring the fact that I do still wake up at 5 am, but, fortunately I'm able to fall asleep again.

Work is going on. I still don't have anything official to do, so I just keep reading and thinking. My research is not going very far either, and I'm not too sure why. I'm just not in the right mindframe to get anything accomplished, and this is scary.

Anyway, today I felt good, because I finally was able to say something "intelligent" in a meeting, not only asking questions about things that I didn't understand. I'm finally getting most of what is going on, but I still end up loosing one or another discussion because my brain locks at a certain aspect that is being talked about and I just can't really pay attention to what comes afterwards.

Besides all this work, I really don't have anything to say. I'm happy to be here, but I'm starting to worry about the lack of other people around me. My teammates are very nice, but they have their lives when they live the office. Most have a family, some just don't quite leave the office. So I'm left to just enjoy my cooking and reading.

Talking about reading, I finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon. It was a very nice book. It's about a boy that has some mental disabilities that makes him very anti-social, but extremely introspective and good in solving problems, especially math-related. Well, one day he finds the dog of the neighbor dead with a big garden fork through its body and decides that he is going to investigate.

Things don't turn out the way he was expecting, but it's not the main scope of the book. The goal is to show how a "different" mind thinks and reacts to what we are used to doing. He points out how many strange things we do throughout the day, and that we are not too different from a mentally handicapped person. It's a short and entertaining read, recommended!

0 comments: