Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The pain...

After battling for another couple of hours with NTRootKit-AC and Generic FakeAlert.a and Generic FakeAlert.d, I decided to give up and reinstall Windows. I moved all my data files to my data partition (E). I wasn't able to access anything external, but I was fairly confident that it would be easy to just clean up my program partitions (C & D).

Well... Things didn't go as well as planned. When I tried to clean up the first two partitions of my disk, for some reason the format procedure thought that the first partition had the full disk size and destroyed all partitions in the process. Including the one with all my data!

So what did I lose, you might ask. Well, besides multiple save games from multiple games I've started and haven't yet finished, including Spore and Fallout 3, and everything that I've added to Quicken since about 6 months ago (when I did the last CD backup) - including all the budgeting that I have been doing in the last couple of weeks, the thing that I'm mostly sad about is that I've lost multiple of my personal projects. That was probably about 80-100 hours of designing and coding. Surely I will take less time to redo it than it took me to go through the first version, but it's just depressing. It's like I'm starting a lot of things from scratch again.

And what doesn't help is that I've already rebooted my computer since I've reinstalled Windows 10 times (and installation took many reboots too because of the mess with the partitions that I've mentioned above). And Windows Update still says that I have 23 updates to install after SP3.

Lesson learned? Maybe quit using Windows? ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lessons learned?
1 - Maybe considering reading the previous post comments section with a few tips your friend left you? ;-)
2 - Van Damme taught us some 10 to 15 years back: No Retreat, No Surrender! You should have fought harder instead of choosing to format the hard disk "so soon" in battle!
3 - Formating sucks!
4 - Multiple partition HDs suck too!
5 - Once you've become a Mac user, you're no longer "pure enough" to solve a Windows problem.

I could find some other 10 lessons you might have learned, but I'll just join you instead in morning the loss of your projects! I can imagine the frustration right now!

Best of luck on your "reboot"!

Michel said...

Unfortunately I tried to use your suggestions, but none of the programs would even install on the computer. They would just not start at all. I think the spyware/virus was adapted to identify and block programs that would block them. Puzzling how it does it, though.

Anyway, I'm ordering a new HD and moving all my data to a different HD instead of a different partition. This time it's less likely that formatting will decide to go crazy on me.

Yes, yes, using Mac as my main computer at home and Linux as my main computer at work has certainly caused my windows problem-solving capabilities to drop significantly. I deserved every bit of it.