Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The vibe, the time

Nothing much to talk about, I'm afraid. I've been working a lot lately. It is interesting that it hasn't been as much as I used to work. For instance, I have slept about 10 hours in the last two evenings combined, but I feel much more tired that I used to feel when I slept 5 hours every night. I'm growing old, I guess. But I do have other theories that I went throug here once, so will leave you without.

Yesterday (ok, technically the day before yesterday), I had my first choir rehearsal of the year. Also I got a personal invitation to sing in the premier of an opera, Stargazers, by Garret Fisher. I really would love to participate, but the concerts are going to be next Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Yes, a week from tomorrow!!! With me working 13 hours a day, it is just hard to put aside the time to learn the piece. It's not hard, but requires memorization. Moreover, I have already paid to go watch a concert next Thrusday. It is so painful to have to reject it but I will...

Another thing that is going on in choir is that they want me to lead the PR committee. They liked what I did for last concert and want me to continue the work. Again, I just don't know if I should invest my shrinking free time on that. I have so many things I want to do... But, at the same time, this would be so much more like me, to do things that are actually useful for other people and not really anything that I had planned to do for myself... I'll probably won't escape from this one, but I'm trying to buy some time before committing to see if somebody else appears to save the day.

What else is up? Oh, I finished listening to Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell. Sure it is number 3 on the NY Times's most blogged books of 2005, but not without any merit. It is an interesting book mostly because of the summary of some of the results from phychologist researches, and not too much for the overall meaning of the book. I think it lacked some sort of cohesive story, a real conclusion. Another book like that is number 1 on the list, Freakonomics : A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. Full of interesting facts, very bloggable, but not really cohesive.

Right now I'm trying to finish reading Ilium by Dan Simmons and then I already have about 10 books lined up. It is interesting how quickly my pile of books grew in the last month or so. I think I have been going home and to work a little bit more tired than usual and this has decreased my book throughput. I have to do a study about that!

Ok. Time to go to sleep some. I think I gave myself enough time to digest my midnight dinner.

0 comments: